260 ^H2 SSTE'S Kanti-chandra, an! Sarad-chanlra. The yonnger brofeer, Isvar-cliandra, who died in 13^3, lef: an only son, Inlra-chaudra, who now enjoys half the estate^ the other half being divided between his three cousins. Daring their minority the property was tinder the control of the Court of Wards ; the General Manager being Mr. Kabers Harvey of Calcutta. The gross rental of the lands la the llaiKura district Is Rs. 76,73$, spaa which the Government demand^ including the 10 per cent, cess, is Rs. 49,49o. The Yalcte of the property when taken in clinrge was estimated at B?Ğ 2.40.193 ; it has now increased to Us, 3j80,S02. Tiie great temple, founded by Se&s Gobind Das and Etidha Krishan, brothers of the famous millionaire Lakhrol Ckrad, Is dedicated to Rang Ji? or Sri Ran^a Xath, that being the special name of Vishnu most affected by Bamnnuja. the founder of the Sri Sarapradaya. It Is built in the Madras stvle, la accordance with plans supplied by their guru, the great Sanskrit scholar, Swami Rang&chdrya, a native of that part of India.* The works were commenced in 1S45 and completed in 1851., at a cost of 45 lakhs of rupees. The oliter walls measure 773 feet in length by 440 in hreadth, and enclose a fine tank and garden in addition to the actual temple- court This latter has lofty gate-towers, or gopnraty covered with a profusion of coarse sculpture. In front of the god is erected a pillar, or dhvaja simnlliQy of copper gilt, sixty feet in height, aad also sunk some twenty-four feet more below the surface of the ground. This alone cost Ss. IQjOOG. The principal or western entrance of the outer court is sarmoaiited by a pavilion, ninety- three feet high, constructed im tlie Mattrar& style after the design of a native artist. IE its graceful outlines and the elegafice of its reticulated tracery, it presents a striking contrast to the heavy and misshapen masses of the Madras Gopnra^ which rises immediately in front of it. A little to one side of the entrance is a detached slied? ia which the gotfs rai/Ğ, or carriage^ is kept. It Is an enormous wooden tower in several stages,, with monstrous effigies at t"Le * He toaslstei some of BlaiaiKija*! works from the language of Southern India into Samfait* Ğad was the author of two polemical treatises ia defence of the orthodoxy of VaishiuLThna. The 8r*t Is a paniplilet entitled Dorjaixa-kari-panchaaana, which was written AS an answer to eight qtiestians p^opoĞEdeĞi lor soluticta by the Saivlte Pandits of Jarpur, The Maliirija, aot bein^; eoa'/Ineed* had a rejoinder published under the name of Sajjaaa-:maaĞ> mainjaaa, which elicited a more cSal*oraie work from the Swaicls called Vjamolia-vidiaraiiam,, in which he bronf fat togeth&r a great number o£ tetts from the canonical Scriptures of the HMoi ia fijipport uf Ms own rievs aal ia refatatloa of those of his opponents. He died on the of Mareli, 1874.